Last Updated 22nd April 2020
The Mind Lab Limited (we, us or our) has developed MINDLABKIDS.COM (the Site) to provide a fun, collaborative learning platform for the purpose of providing children engaging ways to learn about science, technology, engineering, and maths. These challenges are designed to stretch learning and to encourage children to experiment, test, explore and build knowledge and skills.
The purpose of this policy is to set out the measures that are in place to protect the privacy of information collected by The Mind Lab. The Mind Lab (TML) seeks to fully comply with its obligations under the New Zealand Privacy Act (1993). The Mind Lab may modify this policy from time to time. Where we do we will update the last updated date above. Users should check this policy regularly to ensure that they are aware of any changes. A user's continued use of The Mind Lab products and services will be taken as agreement to any such changes.
- This policy applies to all staff members and processes at The Mind Lab (including any programme delivery partners). The Mind Lab (TML) must ensure that, when using or dealing with personal information relating to other staff members, users, contractors or any other individuals, they comply fully with this policy.
- This policy applies to all personal information provided, whether in person or via other means, including through The Mind Lab sites (including themindlab.com, applynz.force.com, techfutureslab.com, mindlabkids.com, and the Learning Management System).
- This policy applies to information collected from all users of The Mind Lab's products and services including adults, children, students, parents and guardians.
This policy covers the following:
- Collection of personal information
- Storage, use and disclosure of personal information
- Cookies and data security
- User access to and correction of personal information
1. Collection of Personal Information
- The Mind Lab collects personal information about users (and where applicable their parents/caregivers) through website registration forms, online accounts and personal transactions over the phone or online. The Mind Lab may collect, store, and use the following categories of personal data about the user: contact details (including name, title, address, telephone number, email address); date of birth; log in details and passwords; application details; credit card/payment details; location information either provided by the user, by a mobile device or associated IP address (where permitted by law); usage, viewing and technical data, including device identifier, server address, IP address, domain name, browser type, and activity/conduct on the Site; aggregated data (such as tracking of site traffic and cookies), and other information the user provides to us through any other method (including, without limitation, correspondence and discussions whether on the Site, by phone or via other means).
- The Mind Lab gathers various information depending on the site and/or programme (from application through to matriculation and graduation), including:
- Registration information created by setting up an account on The Mind Lab websites (sites), including first name and surname, date of birth, email address, username and password.
- Personal information that is required for enrolment in TML programmes including identification, qualification, academic and immigration information where relevant.
- Personal information provided to us through any other method (including without limitation correspondence and discussions whether on The Mind Lab sites or via other means).
- Location information either provided by a mobile device or associated with an IP address, where The Mind Lab is permitted by law to process this information.
- Usage, viewing and technical data, including a device identifier or IP address, when users visit The Mind Lab sites.
- Aggregated data, which tracks traffic to The Mind Lab sites, and cookies, which are pieces of information transferred to a user's computer hard drive for record keeping (such as preferences on The Mind Lab sites).
2. Storage, Use and Disclosure of Personal and Academic Information
- All personal information will be stored on external, secure cloud hosted infrastructure. Additional individual access through the sites may be logged. This could include:
- browser's internet address
- server's address
- domain name
- IP address
- date and time of the visit to the site
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded
- the type of browser used
- The Mind Lab may use this information for statistical purposes and for system administration tasks to maintain this service. The Mind Lab does not identify individuals as part of this practice. However, in the event of an investigation, by a law enforcement agency or other government agency, The Mind Lab may exercise its legal authority to inspect relevant server logs.
- Personal information collected by The Mind Lab will be held for the purposes of user/account management and administration. This information may also be used in reporting back to parents/caregivers (when appropriate i.e. parents of under 18 year old students and other court appointed guardians); celebrating and recording user achievement and as otherwise set out in this policy.
- A unique identifier will be assigned to each user, which will be used in conjunction with a secondary means of identification or password.
- Staff members and other personnel within The Mind Lab will have access to users' personal information for purposes relevant to normal Mind Lab operations including but not limited to: account management, marketing, subscription fees, technical support, security and safety and improving the quality of services provided by The Mind Lab.
- The Mind Lab will use anonymised information (including analytics) gained from the Site for marketing purposes, including improvements to the Site.
- The Mind Lab uses email addresses to communicate regarding administrative matters. All recipients are given the option to opt out of receiving promotional emails.
- The Mind Lab will not disclose any personal information held to a third party, unless required by law, or except as set out below:
- Partners / Collaborators / Service Providers
The Mind Lab works with:
who we may disclose information to. In using The Mind Lab products and services setting up an account and / or subscribing for access to products and services users agree that partners or collaborators (including Genesis Energy Limited) may contact users in relation to their use of The Mind Lab products and services and with information about their own services. If a service provider needs to access information about a user to perform services on The Mind Labs' behalf, they do so under instruction from The Mind Lab, including abiding by policies and procedures designed to protect the users information. Some of these service providers may be located in countries other than New Zealand.
- third-party service providers, who provide hosting, maintenance, backup, storage, infrastructure, payment processing, subscription, analysis, marketing and other services for us;
- partners and collaborators (including Genesis Energy Limited) who enable us to provide our products and services in the manner and at the prices (sometimes free) we do;
- Legal Obligations: In exceptional circumstances, The Mind Lab may share information about a user with a third party if The Mind Lab believes that sharing is reasonably necessary to (a) comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, including to meet national security requirements, (b) enforce The Mind Lab agreements, policies and terms of service, (c) protect the security or integrity of The Mind Lab sites and services, or (d) protect The Mind Lab, related companies, customers or the public from harm or illegal activities.
- Sale of our business: In the event that The Mind Lab proposes to sell the business or any of its assets, The Mind Lab may provide user personal data as part of a database to a prospective buyer solely so that they can consider the purchase of the business. Should The Mind Lab proceed to sell the business (or a material part of it) The Mind Lab may provide user personal data as part of that sale so that the purchaser can continue to operate the business and contact users about their plans for the business.
- Partners / Collaborators / Service Providers
3. Cookies and Data Security
- A cookie is a very small text file that is sent to a browser from our web server and stored on the user's computer. Cookies help provide users with a customised experience without having to re-enter their preferences each time they return to The Mind Lab websites. Customers may disable cookies, however doing so may restrict access to some web pages.
- The Mind Lab takes all reasonable precautions to guard against unauthorised access to confidential and personal information including the loss, misuse and alteration of the information held by The Mind Lab. When personal information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected, it may be deleted.
- The Mind Lab booking systems are PCI-DSS compliant. NB. The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is a set of security standards designed to ensure that companies that accept, process, store or transmit credit card information maintain a secure environment.
- The Mind Lab has in place measures to ensure the security of the personal data that is collected and stored about users. The Mind Lab uses all reasonable endeavours to protect personal data from unauthorised disclosure and/or access, including through the use of network and database security measures.
- The Mind Lab has put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify users and any applicable regulator of a breach where legally required to do so.
4. Access to and Correction of Personal Information
- A user may request access to their personal information by logging in to their Account on the The Mind Lab sites or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If a user contacts The Mind Lab by email or phone (+64 9 964 4444), The Mind Lab may need to verify their identity for security purposes. Changes may take up to 10 days to take effect. If a user has questions regarding the specific personal information about them that The Mind Lab holds, they can contact email@example.com.The Mind Lab will hold a user's information for as long as their User Account is active or as is needed to provide services to the user, or as long as TML is legally obliged to. If a user wishes to cancel their Account or request that The Mind Lab no longer uses their information to provide services, they can contact The Mind Lab at firstname.lastname@example.org.